Monday, June 17, 2013

Karvalo, in search of a missing link



I read Karvalo for the first time when I was studying in high school. It was a prescribed text in Karnataka for Kannada language paper-II that time. I picked it to have a glance at the book during summer vacation and ended up completing the book the same day. It has been 20 years since that and I have read it at least 10 times after that. It is the most borrowed book in my bookshelf. Some of my friends who are miles away from books have read it and appreciated it.


The entire story is told in first person, but the author himself is not the central character, it is the scientist in the town Karvalo and his assistant Mandanna. Karvalo is keen to locate a rare flying lizard which he thinks is a missing link in explaining evolution of nature. He seeks help from Mandanna, who is considered good for nothing by fellow locales. The turnout of events like the experience with honey-bees, marriage of Mandanna makes the read funnier and the team finally locates the lizard but will they succeed in capturing it? Read Karvalo and find out yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment